Board logo

标题: 基于Pine A64+的 一款Cluster [打印本页]

作者: module-eccn    时间: 2016-12-14 16:15     标题: 基于Pine A64+的 一款Cluster

在这个应用中,作者用Pine A64+做了一款cluster。基于64位四核ARM A53芯片,运行在1.2GHz,千兆以太网和1GB DDR3内存。

Bargain 5 Node Cluster of PINE A64+Building a 5-node cluster for under £75 (£175 including five quadcore PINE A64+s)
After the interest in my cluster of Raspberry Pi 3s in April, I was keen to try building a cluster with some of the other excellent SBCs now on the market. PINE 64 in the States generously sent me 5 of their latest PINE A64+ ARM boards, each with a 64-bit quad core ARM A53 SoC running at 1.2GHz, gigabit Ethernet and 1GB of DDR3 memory. Launched as a Kickstarter-funded project it was hugely successful, raising over $1.7 million dollars from tens of thousands of enthusiasts.

The completed cluster measures 146.4 (w) x 151 (h) x 216mm (d) and weighs 1.5kg. (5.6 x 5.9 x 8.3", 52oz)
PINE A64+ vs Raspberry Pi 3The PINE A64+ board has similar specifications to the Raspberry Pi 3, but has faster memory, much faster networking and yet is quite a bit cheaper even when you include international shipping to the UK:
ModelPINE A64+Raspberry Pi 3
SoC4-core ARM A53
1.2GHz
4-core ARM A53
1.2GHz
Memory1GB DDR3
(2GB option)
1GB DDR2
Network1000Mbps100Mbps
WiFioption802.11bgn
Bluetoothoption4.1 + BLE
Infraredyes (header)no
StoragemicroSD cardmicroSD card
USB spare2 fitted4 fitted
VideoHDMI 1.4 CEC, DSI-LCDHDMI, DSI
Camera portsCSICSI
Audio3.5mm, SPDIF (header)3.5mm
Microphoneyes (headphone+mic jack)no
Size127 x 79mm85 x 56mm
Power1.0 → 2.9W
2A max, microUSB
1.2 → 2.1W
2.5A max, microUSB
LaunchedQ2 2016Q1 2016
Price (UK)£25.661£33.59
1US$19 A64+ + $12 shipping + 20% VAT + 0% import duty = £25.66

3D design in SketchUp
I modified my original Raspberry Pi cluster design using the free version of SketchUp and built rough 3D templates of the PINE A64+s, network switch, USB hub, sockets, etc. I didn't bother to include ventilation slots/grills in the 3D model.
2D design in InkscapeI used the free Inkscape application for 2D design, ready for exporting to the laser cutter. Each colour is a different pass of the laser, at different power/speed levels, so the green lines are cut first to make holes for ports/screws/ventilation, pink are extra cuts to help extract delicate parts, orange is text/lines that are etched and finally blue cuts the outside of each panel.
Download files for laser cutting on one 600x400x3mm sheet:

Read more about the laser cutting and the screwless case-clipping system in my original article. I probably went a little overboard with so many ventilation holes, which meant the laser-cutting took 45 minutes to finish.Design Changes from the Raspberry Pi 3 clusterAlthough similar to my cluster of Raspberry Pi 3s, I made a number of changes and improvements:Read about some of the design choices on the original Pi cluster.Power, temperature & coolingAt idle, the entire system of five A64+s, network switch & 5V fan sips a mere 9W, and at 100% load it still only uses 19W in total. There is the possibility of further reducing the power requirements by disabling HDMI?Is a fan needed? The PINE A64+ boards dissipate their heat better than any of the other SBCs I've tried (perhaps helped by the much larger surface area of the boards?), including the Raspberry Pi 3. You could certainly use the cluster without any fan, but I would fit a 5V fan if you want maximum performance or are going to run the cluster at high load for extended periods.

The current release of Debian Linux (3.10.102-2-pine64-longsleep kernel) is unusual in that it ships with the CPU performance governer locked to 1152MHz. I think this will be changed in a future release, and I've configured my boards to use the ondemand governer that dynamically adjusts the CPU speed between 480MHz and 1152MHz as required. This reduces electricity used as well as keeping the boards cooler:echo ondemand | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor >/dev/nullThe USB hub can supply up to 60W (2.4A per A64+), which is more than enough for a couple of power-hungry external devices to be plugged into the USB ports. Using:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/tempto measure the SoC core temperature, the cluster idles at 33.4°C (92°F) with cooling from the 5V fan.At 100% load and the 5V fan, using:
sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=200000 --num-threads=4 run &the SoC core temperatures reached a stable 63.2°C (146°F). If you don't provide at least some active cooling, the SoCs will get as high as 80°C and automatically throttle down their clock speed, to avoid overheating. They can safely run long-term at that temperature, but you don’t get maximum performance.Exactly the same case design should work with the A64 model.
Silent coolingTo cool down the cluster I fitted a single 92mm fan inside the rear of the case. I used a (effectively) silent fan recommended by Quietpc.com, the Gelid Silent 9 (£5.53).At 5V I have to get my ear within 50-75mm (2-3") to hear even the slightest whisper from the fan, and the supplied rubber gromets definitely do a good job of isolating the case from any small vibrations. However at 12V the fan is quite audible in an otherwise silent room, so I was looking for the voltage that would provide enough cooling, while keeping the fan silent.
For a single A64+ you might not need a fan at all, or perhaps a small 40-60mm one.

descriptionheatsinks?idle100% load  performance   
Case, 12V fan, 1500 rpmyes30.4°C53.8°COK
Case, 7V fan, ? rpmyes31.4°C57.6°COK
Case, 5V fan, ? rpmyes33.4°C63.2°COK
Case, no fanyes40.8°C75.6°Cthrottles
Temperatures between the different A64+s was spread over 13 degrees, so an average of 75.6°C (168°F) actually had three of the boards throttling.
Powering the fanUnlike PC motherboards, a A64+ doesn't have a standard 3 or 4-pin fan header, but it is quite easy to power the fan using the GPIO 5V power rail instead. WARNING you can't run anything that needs a lot of current this way – however a low-power fan should be fine. You do need to make sure you have a quality power supply, and not too many power-hungry USB devices plugged into your A64+, otherwise you'll get crashes & rebooting. The main GPIO pins are for data, but using the VDD_5V power rail on pin 2 or 4 should work in theory.This should be enough to run the fan with 5V, or if you need more cooling, splice a step-up/boost converter in the middle to adjust the speed of the fan, by controlling its voltage between 5V and 12V.
Building the A64+ ClusterBill of materialsMost of these parts were sourced from individual sellers on Amazon or eBay, which of course racks up the postage charges. If there were enough demand, it would be cheaper to bulk buy the parts and have a kit with everything you need to build the cluster.
Edimax ES-5800G V3 Gigabit Ethernet Switch£13.49
White flat 25cm Cat6 LAN cables (5 pack)£4.45
Green micro USB cables (5 pack)£9.45
USB Charger Anear 60W 6 Port USB£14.99
M3 steel screws 8mm (10 from a 20 pack)£1.70
RJ45 male to female screw mount (2 pack)£1.98
M3 steel hex nuts (4 from a 5 pack)£1.10
M3 steel screws 14mm (4 from a 5 pack)£1.35
M3 brass female standoff 6mm (8 from a 10 pack)£0.99
M3 steel threaded bar 150mm + nuts (4 from a 5 pack)£5.50
0.5m HDMI male to female panel mount (inc. bolts)£2.39
Twin USB female socket to male cable£2.19
USB right-angle male to female socket extender (2 pack)£1.98
Polyurethane rubber feet (4 from a 12 pack)£2.99
M3 nylon hex nuts (48 from a 100 pack)£1.29
3mm extruded clear perspex 600x400mm£5.32
Laser cutting chargen/a
HDMI 270 degree adaptor£0.99
Gelid Silent 9 92mm case fan£5.53
Subtotal inc P&P£77.68
PINE A64+ at US$19/each (5 pack)1£93.56
Ceramic heat sink 25mm x 5mm (5 pack)£4.74
Total inc P&P£175.98
1The PINE A64+ is duty free to import into the UK, costs US$18.00 to ship 5 boards from the USA, and there is UK VAT at 20% bringing the total to £93.56.
The cluster of A64+s (excluding the boards themselves) is cheaper to build than the Pi3s: this is mainly because I'd found better deals on some of the components, as well as simplifying the design to remove the case shelf + AC socket.
Show me the Benchmarks!!I'm writing a separate article benchmarking this PINE A64+ cluster against my original Raspberry Pi 3 cluster, as well as detailed benchmarks comparing the individual boards. Watch this space...Clusters of other Single Board ComputersSo far I’ve built clusters using the following ARM boards:The NanoPC-T3, Orange Pi Plus 2e and PINE A64+ clusters mostly share the same components, including the acrylic case panels – only the 2 side panels are unique because the boards are different sizes. I'm planning to revise my original Raspberry Pi cluster design so it will share most of these same case/components.I’d like to build a small cluster of all the current crop of sub-$100 ARM SBCs, comparing the different features, and with detailed benchmarks. e.g., Odroid C2/XU4 and the Banana Pi M3. Please email me if you'd like to send boards for review.
Software to run on a cluster?or... What is it for??
Education, training, blah, blah... well personally I’m just running a Debian Linux provided by Pine64.Pro on each A64+ for now, and I’m going to experiment with things like load-balanced web/database servers.
Running Docker on ARM on each node looks like an excellent way of controlling the cluster.

Nick Smith, August 2016.

欢迎光临 电子技术论坛_中国专业的电子工程师学习交流社区-中电网技术论坛 (http://bbs.eccn.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0